Please click on this link Defra this will take you to the government’s website which will give you all of the information required if you live in a smoke controlled area. All stoves which are Defra approved are known as exempt appliances. Defra exempt appliances are manufactured so that more of the unwanted gases are burnt before leaving the stove into the atmosphere meaning the emissions are much cleaner and are designed to be used in a smoke controlled area, all stoves at some point will be exempt appliances because of forthcoming changes in emissions. The Defra website has five categories you can visit: Defra, Smoke control areas, Authorised fuels, Exempt appliances, Search for fuels & appliances. 

Smoke control areas: the rules 

Many parts of the UK are smoke control areas where you can’t emit smoke from a chimney unless you’re burning an authorised fuel or using exempt appliances, eg burners or stoves
You can be fined up to £1,000 if you break the rules.

Find out if you live in a smoke control area: Contact your local council to see if you live in a smoke control area. The environmental services department will be able to help you.

What you can burn in smoke control areas

In a smoke control area you can only burn fuel on the list of authorised fuels, or any of the following ‘smokeless’ fuels, unless you’re using an exempt appliance:

  • anthracite
  • semi-anthracite
  • gas
  • low volatile steam coal

Oil and kindling

You can use oil or other liquid fuels in specially designed or adapted fireplaces.
Kindling can sometimes be used but ask your council because there are different rules in different areas.

Exempt appliances that can burn unauthorised fuels

Unauthorised fuels, such as wood, can be burned in exempt appliances such as some boilers, cookers and stoves.
You must only use the types of fuel that the manufacturer says can be used in the appliance.